https://ecomil.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/choco-new2.jpg 896 830 Ecomil https://ecomil.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/logo-ecomil.png Ecomil2018-02-13 12:22:222018-02-13 12:22:22Chocolate Cake Vegan
Chocolate Cake Vegan
Here is a chocolate cake not like the others made by Hannah @twospoons.ca with our Ecomil coconut milk. Perfect for a day as special as Valentine`s Day! Make this delicious dessert for your sweetheart, he/she will not be disappointed.
Serves: 10-12| Prep Time: 30 mins| Cook Time: 30 mins
For the cakes:
- 1/2 cups (360 ml) Ecomil Coconut Milk, or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cups (307 g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) strong brewed coffee
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 320 g cake flour, or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cups granulated brown sugar (it should be dry, not wet)
- 1 cup (96 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Chocolate Mousse Frosting:
- 100g vegan dark chocolate (1 bar)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 300g silken tofu (1 packet)
- 45ml maple syrup (3 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup Ecomil Coconut Milk, or unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and lightly spray 2, 7-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray. Dust with cocoa powder, shake out the excess, and set aside.
- Mix the coconut milk (or almond milk) and vinegar in a large mixing bowl, and let set for a few minutes to activate. Add the coconut oil, coffee, vanilla extract, and applesauce and beat until foamy.
- Next, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a sifter and slowly sift over the wet ingredients while mixing with a hand-held or standing mixer. If you don’t have a sifter, simply mix dry ingredients in another bowl and add to the wet mixture while beating. Beat until no large lumps remain. It should be creamy and pourable.
- Divide batter evenly between your 2 cake pans or rectangular pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: Add 2 inches water to a medium sized pot and bring to a simmer. Place a large glass bowl on top of the pot making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Add dark chocolate and coconut oil to the bowl to melt, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Add melted chocolate to food processor along with silken tofu, maple syrup, cocoa powder, rum, vanilla, sea salt and almond milk. Blend until completely smooth and combined.
- Once the cake is cooled, frost generously with chocolate mousse frosting, adding a thick layer between the top and bottom layers.
*Note: If you have leftover mousse it can be enjoyed on it’s own, or use to create Chocolate Almond and Thyme Tarts
*Note: Cake will keep in fridge for up to one week, but best served fresh.
Thank you very much Hannah @twospoons.ca for this recipe!
More recipes in her blog https://www.twospoons.ca/ and in our website https://ecomil.com/en/category/vegan-recipes/